We had a very productive reunion planning meeting last night. We covered a wide variety of subjects concerning the reunion and made decisions on many of them. A summary of what was decided is as follows:
- Our primary concern at the meeting was the noon meal on Saturday, Oct. 10th. Because we have not been able to get pre-event lunch tickets sales going, it was decided that we will have local volunteers cook briskets, rice, and beans for the noon meal instead of hiring a caterer. The briskets will be purchased out of reunion funds. Also we will buy paper goods, drinks, bread and condiments out of reunion funds. What we are going to ask of anyone attending and wanting to help out is to please bring a side dish, dessert, or snack to add to what will be served for lunch. Snack items will also be held over for the evening dance.
- As a result of the new lunch plans, we will no longer be asking for a $15.00 lunch fee, but rather lunch will be included in a one time, all weekend fee of $5.00/person. What you will get for your $5.00 fee is access to the Friday evening gathering and snacks. Plus you will have access to all events on Saturday including coffee, pan dulce, doughnut, etc. for breakfast, lunch (brisket plate), dance, and a lot of good old visiting with long lost friends. Sounds like a good deal to me.
- Also discussed was having tee shirts made for the reunion. Sally Perez will be in charge of ordering the tee shirts and there will be a $15.00/shirt fee. Please contact Sally for more information. Her contact information is on the Mirando City Panther Facebook page.
- Golf tournament plans have been confirmed. The Mirando City Reunion Golf Tournament will be held at the Los Ebanos Golf Course in Zapata, TX. Starting tee time is 9:00 a.m. on Friday October, 9th. The tournament will be a 4 man scramble and a $30.00/player fee will be charged. This fee will pay for your green fees, golf cart, and lunch. Everyone interested in playing in this tournament needs to contact Jerry Perez and be sure to have your handicap ready because he will ask for it. Also, for any of the ladies that are there with their husbands, there will be a putting tournament for them at no additional charge. Trophies will be given away for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers.
- Everyone planning on attending the 2015 Mirando City Reunion is asked to go the Mirando City Panthers Facebook page and look for the 2015 Mirando City Reunion Event. Please indicate if you plan on attending. We need to get some idea of how many people to expect for this years reunion.
One item of discussion was the uncertainty over the availability of the Civic Center building. There will be a community meeting next Wednesday, August 19th at 5:00 p.m. at the Civic Center. Our county commissioner and county judge are scheduled to be there, so please show up and voice any concerns you may have about the Civic Center. We need to make sure that this building is available for what it was intended for, and that is for the benefit of our small communities……
Thanks for all the great volunteers and we can always use more help, so join in and make this years’reunion the best ever.